Ensuring your dentures are stored correctly is highly important as this helps prevent damage and can help extend the life of your dentures. There are lots of misconceptions around how you should store your dentures when you are not wearing them. This article goes through the main dos and don’ts of storing your dentures to ensure you have the right advice for your denture care.
What is the best way to store dentures?
Dentures can lose their shape and go brittle if not kept moist. You should therefore keep your dentures in a container filled with liquid, such as water or denture cleaning solution when you have taken them out of your mouth. If using a denture cleaning solution ensure that you always follow the instructions on the label, and if you are unsure ask your dental technician for advice.
You can book a denture check-up with our Clinical Dental Technician or our in-house dentist if you do not have a preferred dentist of your own. Call one of our clinics to arrange your appointment for a time that suits you.
Storing your dentures correctly extends their life and prevents the risk of damage and excess bacteria build-up. Follow these simple do’s and don’ts for storing your dentures correctly.
Dos for storing dentures:
- Keep your dentures wet so they don’t lose their shape
- If using denture cleanser solution, follow the instructions carefully
- Before putting the dentures back in your mouth, it’s important to rinse them thoroughly
- Dentures can break easily if dropped on a hard surface. Handle your dentures with care and place the container they are in somewhere secure to ensure this doesn’t happen
- Follow the denture storage instructions given to you by a dental professional
Don’ts for storing dentures:
- Leave your dentures in while you sleep. Bacteria will grow on your dentures while you sleep if you don’t remove them. This can lead to infections and other oral hygiene issues. Wearing dentures while you sleep can also cause wear as many people grind their teeth or clench the jaw while they sleep
- Place your dentures in boiling or hot water. This can cause your dentures to warp, meaning they will no longer fit in your mouth correctly
- Use abrasive toothpaste or hard brushes to clean your dentures for storage. Using a denture-friendly brush along with a gentle toothpaste will ensure your dentures don’t get damaged or worn down. Get more tips on the best ways to keep your dentures clean.
If you would like more information or advice about storing your dentures correctly, contact us by calling 0115 941 7052 for an informal chat, or come to see us at any one of our denture clinics in Nottingham, Newark and Mansfield for a free denture consultation to assess your options and decide where to go next.